Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Pasig River

Photo bloggers have these photo projects - 365day, 52 week, 1 shot a day and i wonder which one i can go into without spending too much. It shouldn't be always an out-of-town shoot as it tends to be expensive.

So while i am riding the MRT to work, i begin to think of subjects that i can "shoot". As the train crossed Pasig River (Guadalupe Station) , told myself why not take photos of this river !!! So everyday, i picture in my mind on where i can probably position myself. I am also thinking of my safety. will a knife wielding goon rob me and take away my camera? When i went home one early evening, I saw the river again and the reflections on the water. Now i really got to capture this..

I will just wait for the opportunity or for a companion to go down there at the bank.

When i registered for the Unilab Wellness Fun Run, the kits were only available at Planet Sports at Rockwell Power Plant. So i have to go there to pick them up. Lo! i saw an opportunity to check on the riverbank which was just fronting Power Plant. On tuesday, feb 16, i packed my camera and tripod and drove to work. I was excited that at the stroke of 4pm, i left the office and headed for Rockwell.

After picking up the kits , i proceeded to the "riverfront" . I cant remember anymore the last time i've been to this area. It's been years since i last passed by this area. I'm surprised that there are lots of development going on. Thanks to the mighty Lopezes, a bridge connecting Estrella Street to the other side of the river is being constructed !!!. I hope they would include a pedestrian walkway on this new bridge similar to Sydney Harbour Bridge .Also, the riverbanks fronting Rockwell have been beautified and lighted. There were some people taking pictures with Rockwell as a backdrop; couples seated on the bank watching the river maybe; a few "fishermen". .

I felt that it was ok and safe to shoot here. I walked a few meters away from rockwell to check a nice spot. As advised in photo blogs, make a 360 turn whenever you shoot; dont just shoot right away and i did that. I reached a stairway to a makeshift dock where people can ride the banca to cross to the other side. With some people around, i took out my camera and compose. I watched the people as they go down to ride the motorized banca; i sat on a make shift bench , took some shots; walked on the narrow ledge , took more shots. I waited for nightfall and took shots again of the building afar with the light reflections on the water.

I saw a white big boat cruising the river and i can see lots of passengers. And i remember one FM DJ mentioning that there is a boat cruising Pasig river from Pasig to Quiapo. Maybe that was the one. The fare is something like Php45 one way.

After taking several shots, why not take the boat ride to the other side!! It will only cost me Php 2.00. So i did.. Am quite nervous as this boat was small and so unlike the ferries i have ridden in Hongkong, Singapore and Australia. Our government could have developed the river as part of the city's transport system and provide a bigger passenger boats.

Anyway, as i reached the other side, i set my camera on a tripod and took photos of the building where Power Plant is located. Though there was a busy basketball court nearby, I only stayed for about 15 mins and left; rode the banca back to the other side; back to Rockwell and drove home. Mission accomplished!!

No comments:

Post a Comment